Re: Encryption on Laptops?

From: Magi Networks (administrator_at_maginetworks.com)
Date: 03/17/04

    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:11:04 +0100
    To: "Shanafelt, Gabe" <SHANAGG@dshs.wa.gov>

    > Shanafelt, Gabe wrote:
    >
    >> If one wanted to encrypt data on a laptop but the enhanced cryptopack for
    >> Windows XP isn't strong enough, what products would you recommend?
    >> Preferably low cost or free products?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Gabe

    Gabe,

    Here's what I would recommend:

    For encrypting folders or large amounts of files:
    Paid - Bestcrypt 7+ (http://www.jetico.com/order.htm)
    Free - PGPDisk (http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgpdisk/)
    Free - FineCrypt (http://www.finecrypt.net/)

    For encrypting files:
    Free - FineCrypt (http://www.finecrypt.net/)
    Free - Microsoft's EFS (Built in)
    Free - PGP (version 6) www.pgpi.com
    PAID - PGP (version 8) www.pgp.com

    For higher security:
    Crypt Card - http://www.gtgi.com/products_cryptcard.php

    For normal access control:
    IBM SmartCard Security Toolkit (both an encryption/decryption package
    and access control requiring a smart card and pin to boot the system)

    J. Theriault
    administrator@maginetworks.com

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html