Re: Encryption on Laptops?

From: Magi Networks (administrator_at_maginetworks.com)
Date: 03/17/04

    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:11:04 +0100
    To: "Shanafelt, Gabe" <SHANAGG@dshs.wa.gov>

    > Shanafelt, Gabe wrote:
    >
    >> If one wanted to encrypt data on a laptop but the enhanced cryptopack for
    >> Windows XP isn't strong enough, what products would you recommend?
    >> Preferably low cost or free products?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Gabe

    Gabe,

    Here's what I would recommend:

    For encrypting folders or large amounts of files:
    Paid - Bestcrypt 7+ (http://www.jetico.com/order.htm)
    Free - PGPDisk (http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgpdisk/)
    Free - FineCrypt (http://www.finecrypt.net/)

    For encrypting files:
    Free - FineCrypt (http://www.finecrypt.net/)
    Free - Microsoft's EFS (Built in)
    Free - PGP (version 6) www.pgpi.com
    PAID - PGP (version 8) www.pgp.com

    For higher security:
    Crypt Card - http://www.gtgi.com/products_cryptcard.php

    For normal access control:
    IBM SmartCard Security Toolkit (both an encryption/decryption package
    and access control requiring a smart card and pin to boot the system)

    J. Theriault
    administrator@maginetworks.com

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: Filezilla a security risk
      ... a good idea to have more than one security layer. ... ClamAV and USB keys are not anutomatically mounted thus can be also ... It's much harder to tell them that their programs might store ... encrypting the user credentials so there has to be a reason in behind for ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: The Vernacular of Security Narrative
      ... :process millions of transactions per time frame. ... then they're likely encrypting -everything-. ... :opportunity to successfully exploit an insider's glimpse of security is ... unless the business is very stupid, the business isn't going to rely ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Searchindexer -- for whose benefit?
      ... encrypted email, each of us could include the key to use for the next ... but a lot slower and without its provable security. ... characters would also get moved. ... compressing the file before encrypting. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
    • -- WINDOW Log --
      ... When encrypting, be sure to specify that the output is to be ASCII, ... Users rely on your remailer for security. ... Reliable introduces several new directiveremailer directives, ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Encryption of printer files
      ... security specs. ... The problem lies in the fact that if we are so worried about encrypting the ... internal network it could fall back to the above security specs. ... risk can be limited with an encrypted session to ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)