Re: Root account desactivated

mike_at_genxweb.net
Date: 03/12/04

    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:12:19 +0000
    To: "MARTIN M. Bénoni" <benoni_martin@hotmail.com>

    boot into single user mode at the boot up hit ctrl + x and type linux 1

    Quoting "MARTIN M. Bénoni" <benoni_martin@hotmail.com>:

    > Hi community!
    >
    > I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root
    > account in the file /etc/passwd has been changed from ".../bin/bash" to
    > ".../sbin/nologin". We have the root password, but when performing a "su"
    > command, the system replies that the account is not currently available.
    >
    > So the question is: how from an user's account and knowing the root's
    > password but having the root account disabled can we reactivate this root's
    > account?
    >
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated, I do not want to reinstall the box :(
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

    > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    > any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    > to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    > Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    >
    > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    > Visit us at:
    > http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: FW: Root account desactivated
      ... I should boot from a live-cd and mount the partition in read/write mode ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Root account desactivated
      ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ... > of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Root account desactivated
      ... but the first thing I would do is boot into single-user mode with a RH boot ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Root account desactivated
      ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... > password but having the root account disabled can we reactivate ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: restore Administrator password
      ... >> Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... >> Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of ... >> pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)