Re: Root account desactivated

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (
Date: 03/11/04

    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:58:27 +0100

    On 2004-03-11 MARTIN M. Bénoni wrote:
    > I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root
    > account in the file /etc/passwd has been changed from ".../bin/bash" to
    > ".../sbin/nologin". We have the root password, but when performing a "su"
    > command, the system replies that the account is not currently available.
    > So the question is: how from an user's account and knowing the root's
    > password but having the root account disabled can we reactivate this root's
    > account?
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated, I do not want to reinstall the box :(

    Get tomsrtbt [1], Knoppix [2] or some other bootable distro. Boot it,
    mount your machine's root partition and edit $MOUNTPOINT/etc/passwd to
    reset the login shell.

    Ansgar Wiechers

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at: