Re: Root account desactivated

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (bugtraq_at_planetcobalt.net)
Date: 03/11/04

    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:58:27 +0100
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    On 2004-03-11 MARTIN M. Bénoni wrote:
    > I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root
    > account in the file /etc/passwd has been changed from ".../bin/bash" to
    > ".../sbin/nologin". We have the root password, but when performing a "su"
    > command, the system replies that the account is not currently available.
    >
    > So the question is: how from an user's account and knowing the root's
    > password but having the root account disabled can we reactivate this root's
    > account?
    >
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated, I do not want to reinstall the box :(

    Get tomsrtbt [1], Knoppix [2] or some other bootable distro. Boot it,
    mount your machine's root partition and edit $MOUNTPOINT/etc/passwd to
    reset the login shell.

    [1] http://www.toms.net/rb/
    [2] http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • FW: Root account desactivated
      ... I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Root account desactivated
      ... root exploit to gain privileges. ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: user privledges
      ... > redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... > fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... it started but would not install because i did ... sofware to /opt/musicmatch as a normal user. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: Root account desactivated
      ... > I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root ... the system replies that the account is not currently available. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Alerting - Malicious software removal tool
      ... >needed to install an application that she could not install from ... >"Administrator" account. ... You failed to analyze the root cause and correct it ... use their computers to have fun. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)