RE: book for a newbie...?

totoalfi_at_rad.net.id
Date: 03/03/04

    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:13:37 +0700 (WIT)
    To: espencer@usa.net

    Dear,
    do you have url to download that security books for free?
    It's dificult for me in here (Indonesia) to buy that books online. And
    quiet expensive to buy at local store (I'm a student, with little budget
    for buying books).
    If you show me url for free ebook (Specially in IT/Security/hacking), I
    would be really appreciate it.

    Regards
    -To2-

    > Murad:
    >
    > Start with the free stuff and then go from there. Some of the best
    > security
    > materials I've ever read have been made available for FREE. From there,
    > look for books that are good in specific areas you're interested in
    > pursuing
    > further.
    >
    > Below are some links to what I've found to be wonderful information sites:
    >
    > http://csrc.nist.gov
    > You'll want to look at the SP 800 series and some of the pubs in SP 500
    > and
    > FIPS. There is a regular wealth of information here and one of the best
    > 'starting' reads is 'An Introduction to Computer Security: The NIST
    > Handbook'.
    >
    > http://www.cccure.org
    > This is a web site for studying for the CISSP and has great study papers.
    > They cover the 10 domains individually and cover them well.
    >
    > There are other sites like techrepulic.com and pay sites that offer some
    > variety and good content. A little searching on Google will give you some
    > starting points.
    >
    > Once you decide to start buying books there is much discussion on what
    > constitues a good security book. Is it a 'how to hack' type book showing
    > exploits and how to patch? or theory books that teach good strong
    > principles
    > and theory which you're expected to apply. This only gets more muddy when
    > you consider how wide the security professionals job can really be (see my
    > column in Information Security Magazine - LogOff column - August 2001 to
    > see
    > what I mean). I'd start with books strong in theory or on specific
    > technol
    > ogies you're needing to work with and move on from there. Some good
    > starting points:
    >
    > Practical Unix and Internet Security
    > Applied Cryptography
    > Maximum Security (all the books from the series)
    > Hacking Exposed
    > Counter Hack
    > Hack Attacks Revealed
    > Hack Attacks Denied
    > Hacker Proof (outdated and likely out of print but a good starting book)
    > Intrustion Signatures and Analysis
    > CISSP Study Guide
    > Linux Security
    > Information Security Management Handbook (pricy, but worth the price if
    > you
    > need some good strong theory or are preparing for the CISSP)
    > Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers for the Internet
    > Linux Security Toolkit
    > Steal This Computer Book
    > Linux System Security
    >
    > If you get a chance to peruse the books at your local bookstore you will
    > get
    > a better idea of what's in each book, if not, and you have to buy a book
    > without seeing it, or without any recommdations from others on what would
    > be
> [...]

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_security-basics_040303

    • Risks Digest 25.74
      ... ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS ... U.S. Passport RFID security ... Taiwan president in ruckus over prerecorded web messages ... What could be one of the most important books for developers of low-risk ...
      (comp.risks)
    • RE: List Lurker Would Like To Learn More About Security Basics
      ... Oreilly.com has ton's of good books on security thats what i used to get ... If you're serious about learning more about security join you're local linux ... I manage a web site and found this list and web site when I got hit by a ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: seeking a better understanding
      ... I suggest you go to amazon and search for the 'hacking' books. ... cases for security issues. ... experience in Linux, and only a little in security. ... I would project out port 80 ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: DHS Open Source Hardening Project
      ... Vulnerability Discovery and Remediation, Open Source Hardening ... tighten up code in regards to security? ... co-authored three books. ... seems to be well upstream from the Fedora Project. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: learning ethical hacking
      ... and get access to several books. ... As for which books are good it all depends on what kind of security ... Web Security -- Hack Notes ... Network Security Monitoring ...
      (Security-Basics)