RE: Cisco VPN Client - Stateful Firewall

From: Rosenhan, David (David.Rosenhan_at_swiftbrands.com)
Date: 02/24/04

    Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:44:53 -0700
    To: "Omar Khawaja" <omarkhawaja@yahoo.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Omar,

    I used to work for Cisco on the VPN team and when the VPN client
    stateful firewall was checked it only allowed outgoing connections for
    ESP and ISAKMP traffic, basically it blocked everything but VPN traffic
    incoming and outgoing. It is a very basic firewall, mostly used for
    users that are not doing any split-tunneling and if you can't afford a
    3rd party firewall solution.

    I would suggest enabling it and then run a program called LanGuard
    against the IP address of the computer. LanGaurd has a 30 day trial
    version out there you can download, you will probably need to google it.
    From here you should be able to tell what is left open when it is
    enabled.

    Thanks!

    David Rosenhan, CCNP