Re: Securing webmail - changing a port necessary to ensure security?

From: Phillip McCollum (PMcCollum_at_sanmanuel.com)
Date: 02/12/04

    Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:24:44 -0800
    To: <jfountain@rbinc.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    I may be wrong here, but as far as affecting clients accessing the
    webmail from another organization, it shouldn't matter since clients
    normally use a random port number >1024 to access servers. But I'm
    still pretty new to some of this stuff, so someone please correct me if
    I'm mistaken.

    Thanks,
    Phillip

    Phillip McCollum
    Network Technician - Level One
    MCSE:Security, CNA, Security+, A+
    San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
    pmccollum@sanmanuel.com
    (909) 496-0310

    >>> "Jennifer Fountain" <jfountain@rbinc.com> 2/11/2004 8:02:34 AM >>>
    I am going back and forth on this one with a consultant on this one
    and
    need an expert opinion. So, I turn to you :) When configuring
    webemail
    (such as owa) that is using https, is it better to change the default
    port (443) to an uncommon port (20000)for security reasons? Does it
    secure it further by doing this? Wouldn't it cause more issues than
    anything if you try to access that site from inside an org that only
    allows port 80/443 and 21 out?

    Thank you in advance for any opinions you may share.

    Kind Regards,

    Jennifer Fountain

    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus
    Protection

    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.

    Download 30-day evaluation at:
    http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php