Secured Linux box for Windows access

From: Matthew White (jbloggs000_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/02/04

    Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 06:04:58 +1100 (EST)
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hello all,

    Having been a Windows administrator for many years I've finally taken
    the plunge and started in earnest to learn about Linux. So far I'm
    enjoying it as I've gotten all of the crucially important services to my
    test box - games, office apps and Wine. Seriously however I'm really
    curious about how to set up a remote data service for my Windows
    clients.

    Ideally, if I could have my Windows clients to be able to map a drive or
    use a UNC share to the Linux box that would be perfect - this way I'd
    not have to greatly retrain them.

    The difficult parts are that I'll need the server to accessible over the
    Internet, for it to be Open Source or low cost and to be able to
    administer the box remotely also.

    Here's what I've picked up so far:
    I need a form of encryption and preferably a form of authentication.
    * On the server I think I need: Linux, Samba, OpenVPN server (or similar
    VPN server), Webmin (and therefore Apache).
    * On the client I need OpenVPN client (or other VPN client).
    Authentication, however, I don't know what to choose.

    Q. I'm using Mandrake and finding it easy to use. Generally though I'm
    the one telling people that Security is inversely proportional to
    Convenience so I wonder if the ease of use with Mandrake comes at the
    price of being less secure. If so is there a better flavour of Linux to
    use? (eg I've heard of Trustix but know almost nothing about it).

    Q. Would it be feasible / recommended to only store PGP/GPG files on
    this datastore location as it is just sitting out there on the net and
    not under daily scrutiny like my client machines, or is there some flaw
    in my strategy that makes this just misplaced paranoia?

    Q. What sort of protective logging can I do for it? Is it wise to have
    it notify me of possible security abnormalities? If so what products
    would you suggest?

    http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
    Send your love online with Yahoo! Greetings - FREE!

    Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
    course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
    We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
    and many other technical hands on courses.
    Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
    any course!

    • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
      ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
      (soc.culture.lebanon)
    • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
      ... Open Server Management. ... then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... >From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Question about Red Hat Linux Enterprise
      ... we have is running Windows 2000 Server ... Luckily running Apache + MySQL on a Linux system is not a lot ... MySQL database and injecting it back into the MySQL installation ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Sweet Success
      ... Let's continue to assume that I prefer Windows to anything else: ... neither Linux nor Windows may be the answer. ... While it may well be initially less expensive to install a Linux-based ... of Linux simultaneously, along with Windows Server, AIX, and OS/400. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] 70 million computers are using Windows 98 right now
      ... Linux is definitely not a natural migration pathway. ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X seem to work pretty ... > desktop to server. ... But then the persons across the sea just can't install ...
      (Full-Disclosure)