Basic questions about network shares

From: Ciprian Slobodnic (slobodnic_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/30/04

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:34:42 -0600

    Is there any difference between a mapped network drive and an unmapped one
    from a security standpoint?
    For instance, if I map \\server\share to Y: and I access the file
    Y:\executable.exe is it more secure compared with
    \\server\share\executable.exe?
    If no, then why Microsoft on XP and Win2k3 they decided to give you a
    warning "Some files can harm your computer ." when you try to execute the
    file in the second way?
    Will an anti-virus program be able to scan the executable the same in both
    cases?

    Thanks.

    Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
    course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
    We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
    and many other technical hands on courses.
    Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
    any course!