RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security 2 - ssl

From: Prasad S. Athawale (athawale_at_buffalo.edu)
Date: 01/25/04

    To: "'Alvin Oga'" <alvin.sec@Virtual.Linux-Consulting.com>
    Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:36:16 -0500

    Hi!

    >.wireless communicatins is done with 40bit rc4 cipher... NOT ssl

    Agreed. It uses a 64 bit key (14 bit is plain text - hence 40 bit).
    Some of them also use 128 bit (effective 114 bit).

    >rc4 has been broken back in feb 2001 by simple brute force, and/or
    >by people using dictionary or trivial passwords

    Yes encryption has been broken - to reveal the underlying data - in
    case the data was encrypted before being transmitted via WEP all you
    get (after brute forcing WEP) is the data in encrypted form of the
    earlier encryption.

    >even if you use wireless w/ ssh or ssl ... your encrypted ssh/ssl
    >data is ( wirelessly ) sniffed and decryptable since your initial
    >passwd/pass phrase was also sniffed

    As regards SSL 'password' or rather 'passphrase' this gets decided
    using conventional public key encryption schema viz . Diffie Helman/
    RSA etc. This has nothing to do with WEP - and this encryption would
    happen before the WEP is done - which would be at transmission time.

    Hope my point is understood.

    Any thought anyone ?
    Prasad S. Athawale
    Graduate Student
    University at Buffalo
    ' there are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand
    binary and those who don't'