RE: XP password and encryption

From: J. Yoon (supercool9000_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/06/04

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:28:21 -0500

    1) What are the pro's and con's of turning off NTLM on my XP box?

    2) Aside from the obvious, what does IPSEC encryption do to make things more
    secure?
        For example, which layers does this protocol work at and could it ever
    interfere with any existing settings/applications due to backward
    compatibility issues?

    3) IPv6's supposedly the solution to the "running out of IP addresses
    problem". Sorry if this is a dumb Q, but if the job of assigning IP addy's
    is upto the authorities... how exactly is IPv6 configurable / useful to avg
    joe users like you and me...
    For example, I think I saw references to IPv6 within XP control-panel /
    network settings
    what exactly can we do with it?

    >Note that you also have the option of requiring
    >IPSEC encryption of all local client/server traffic, and this too is a good
    >thing.
    >
    >3/a/b) Check out Kerberos; it might be able to do what you want.

    Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
    access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

    Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
    course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
    We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
    and many other technical hands on courses.
    Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
    any course!