RE: Cryptography/Cryptanalysis

From: Kenneth Buchanan (K.Buchanan_at_Kastenchase.com)
Date: 12/31/03

    To: 'nokio x0' <xj3wlzx@hotmail.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:44:04 -0500

    Books and guides aren't what you're looking for. If you are looking for
    something to explain how to do cryptanalysis, you won't find it.

    If you are serious about pursuing this area, the first thing you need is a
    degree in mathematics from a good school. Focus on number theory and
    combinatorics. From there, grad school. There you can get your hands dirty
    in cryptography research and help write some papers. When you have your
    PhD, you *may* be ready to get down to some serious cryptanalysis.

    When you've written some good papers and achieved some level of peer
    recognition, try applying to work for the NSA. Be wary, though, they are
    *very* selective about who they hire.

    As for "implementing [crypto] in real life", until you have that PhD, I
    wouldn't suggest trying to implement an actual cryptographic algorithm.
    There are various toolkits that provide good crypto available for purchase.
    Look for something with FIPS 140-2 certification. Once you have one, just
    read the API spec!