Re: Cryptography/Cryptanalysis

From: Chris Alfeld (calfeld_at_math.utah.edu)
Date: 12/31/03

    Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:22:00 -0700 (MST)
    To: nokio x0 <xj3wlzx@hotmail.com>

    > real life(ie: encrypting a unix file system with aes(just an example)). If
    > there are any books/online texts you can refer me to please do so. Also,
    > what guides/books do you recommend I should take a look at on the subject of
    > Cryptanalysis? My goal is to some-day become a cryptanalyst for the NSA.

    The main books you want are Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier (ISBN
    0471117099) though beware this is a serious book; and closely related,
    Practical Cryptography by Niels Fergunson and Bruce Schneier (ISBN
    0471223573). Once you get through these two books I'd suggest starting to
    read papers and journals in the field. You should also pick up a strong
    mathematical background, mainly in number theory/algebraic number theory.

    -Chris Alfeld

    • FS: Cryptography and code breaker books
      ... from Ancient Times to the Internet by David Kahn (Hardcover - December ... Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C, ... All books are in very good to like new condition. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Multi-layered PKI implementation
      ... then there are a couple of reasonable pop science type books around. ... cryptography textbook might be a good idea. ... or "Practical Cryptography" by Bruce Schneier would be ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Regarding Encryption...
      ... "Encryption Basics" and had asked for good books on the topic. ... I had suggested the book Handbook of Applied Cryptography (available ... online) and Applied Cryptography by Schenier which I thought was not ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Rotor Machine Questions
      ... Two additional good books on rotor-based cipher machines and their ... "Cryptanalysis of the Single Rotor Cipher Machine", Donald A. Dawson, ... and all Aegean Park Press crypto books are available on ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Good books?
      ... I was just wondering what books make /both/ good introductions /and/ ... possibly the Handbook of Applied Cryptography. ... Handbook is quite complete and more up-to-date than Schneier's book, ... discuss theoretical maths as it applies to cryptology, ...
      (sci.crypt)