RE: Best practices for a small business's security

From: Jason Balicki (kodak_at_frontierhomemortgage.com)
Date: 12/29/03

    To: "'bob martin'" <bobmartin_613@hotmail.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:07:37 -0600

    >I am looking for best practices or an outline to follow for
    >helping a small
    >company to secure their business. I've found many resources on the
    >technical aspects, but am hoping for suggestions for websites or books
    >covering the business aspects as well. Any help would be much
    >appreciated.

    I have no idea how useful it is yet, but I'm currently evaluating
    the CERT OCTAVE-S program. It appears to be what you're looking
    for. The guides are free and downloadable. The full OCTAVE program
    is for huge companies, but the OCTAVE-S program is for small (less than
    a hundred or so employees) businesses. It's still overkill for a
    mom & pop shop, but it's something.

    It's designed to put the IT people and the business people in a room
    and work out a site-specific security policy, to evaluate current
    weaknesses and to lay out a security implimentation plan.

    OCTAVE-S is currently at version 0.9, and version 1.0 is expected
    soon.

    Check it out:
    http://www.cert.org/octave/

    HTH,

    --J(K)

    • Re: Service Release 2 does not fix font problem
      ... >> around without setting themselves up for failure when Apple fixes the ... If enough users have the problem, it has both a business ... MacBU is required to conform to MS business ... their shareholders' resources. ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office)
    • Re: Service Release 2 does not fix font problem
      ... >>> around without setting themselves up for failure when Apple fixes the ... If enough users have the problem, it has both a business ... MacBU is required to conform to MS business ... > their shareholders' resources. ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office)
    • Re: Best practices for a small businesss security
      ... I've found many resources on ... > books covering the business aspects as well. ... Paid commercial ... Backups, backups, backups! ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Carl Icahn Speaking about Dell and PCs
      ... I do not think the PC business is over. ... service contracts provided inhouse, from resources wholly controlled ... of operating and maintaining a tradition PC. ... American know-how to set a role model for the world to follow. ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: Question
      ... >>Except you've just switched step 2 with having a partner that will finance ... years because it takes longer than that to amass the resources. ... > 50% of small business fails in its first year. ...
      (Debian-User)