How to track who reads/changes files on NT4.0 server in NT4 domai n?

From: Lewis, John (LEWISJ_at_CHARLOTTESVILLE.ORG)
Date: 12/23/03

    To: "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:00:37 -0500

    We need the ability to track what users read and change files in a specific
    directory on a NT 4.0 server in an NT 4.0 domain (not the entire server).

    I'm not seeing any built-in auditing that will do that. Is there any
    software which will do the monitoring and generate reports?

    Thanks.

    --
    John Lewis
    Security Engineer

    • Re: Changing toolbar config in Normal
      ... We have no ability to Cancel posts on this server. ... I am addressing these groups through the NNTP "Network News Transport ... McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
    • Re: branch office administrator
      ... If you give this person any local admin type accesses (ability to log on ... > The plant manager is complaining at one location that was brought online> this last week, because the former "IT Guy" that took care of their ... We work for the corporate office so he doesn't have much choice/say> over most of this, but he has managed to get corporate to give him> permission to give full administrative rights over the computers and server> at the location to his buddy the "IT Guy" ... the server is a DC and GC so I can't justgive> him local admin rights to the server. ...
    • Re: [SLE] Alert
      ... The owner still has the ability to share their files to whomever they ... Many places use linux as a server with many 100's of people having ... From a server stand point this is a no-no. ... How many people keep personal files in their home dir, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Proper method to allow "user" to login to server 2003 via TS?
      ... I was trying to configure a local user (not admin or power user) with ... I don't want to give this user the ability ... to do anything other than start/stop a service on the server ... Administrator ...
    • Client Lockdown
      ... I was hoping that someone could shed some light on a configuration issue I am ... Deny their ability to install their own programs ... I purchased the SBS Premium to get the ISA server 2000. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)