Re: Sniffing

From: Devilscrow Sr (devilscrow_at_gawab.com)
Date: 12/15/03

    Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:13:42 +0530
    To: "Shah H (Comp)" <03004309@glam.ac.uk>

    Hi,

    Comments inline.....

    Shah H (Comp) wrote:

    >1) On a Switched Network can Sniffers capture Network Traffic only for
    >the switch it is connected to switch or for all the switches on the
    >network?

    Yes you can capture traffic on your switch, but if you use conventional
    sniffers then you would receive only what is sent to you, unless you are
    using technologies like span / port mirror etc. The other way to sniff
    on your switch would be to use tools like dsniff / ettercap etc. These
    tools use cache poisoning techniques to get their way thru. To read more
    .... google is you friend.

    >2) Can Sniffing be detected using a Network Intrusion Detection System
    >and if yes then are there any Sniffing ways which are not detected by
    >NDIS?

    Yes sinffing can be detected. Well evading detection would mean sniffing
    with your adapter running normally (!= promiscuous)

    -dev

    • Re: Pulse dialing overhead, was: ANI vs. Caller ID [Telecom]
      ... the switch handles 5 prefixes, lines. ... To be technically accurate, software-based DTMF detection requires ... processor, not the CPU. ... If interrupts are used, as we believe they are, there is no need to ...
      (comp.dcom.telecom)
    • Sniffing
      ... On a Switched Network can Sniffers capture Network Traffic only for ... the switch it is connected to switch or for all the switches on the ... Can Sniffing be detected using a Network Intrusion Detection System ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: DCC - why not?
      ... blocks that are switched between mainline cabs, and each yard has 1 or ... electrical blocks that switch between cabs. ... About 3/4 are for detection. ...
      (rec.models.railroad)
    • Re: serial device
      ... you still want to add the no serial mouse detection in the boot.ini. ... Use /NoSerialMice switch instead. ... than a mouse that is attached to a serial port during the startup process. ... How do i force XPE not to install ms serial ballpoint. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
    • Re: Multiplexing audio sources?
      ... I haven't managed to fully grasp most of the ... inputs (CD4053 is an eight-bit switch that can do this). ... strap its detection bit to always ON. ... That loses one channel (so it's ...
      (sci.electronics.design)