Re: CISSP Boot Camps

From: Brian Keefer (chort_at_amaunetsgothique.com)
Date: 12/15/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: 14 Dec 2003 17:20:44 -0800

    On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:32, Patrick Beam wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I am currently studying for the CISSP and I
    > was wondering are the CISSP boot camps worth the money? I really like
    > the idea of taking 7 straight days to study for the exam and then take
    > the test immediately afterwards. I am currently considering taking a
    > boot camp class from The Training Camp who appear to be the official
    > (ISC)2 training program. I would be interested in hearing from people
    > that have taken this course in the past and I would also like to hear
    > from people that have taken courses from other training organizations.
    > Thanks for the advice in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Patrick

    It totally depends on how much background knowledge you have and how
    much you've studied so far. If you intuitively have a good grasp of
    "best practices" and you've read one of the Bible-like CISSP study books
    cover to cover, chances are you don't need a boot camp. If on the other
    hand, you have trouble understanding the reasoning behind some common
    best practices, or you're unfamiliar with best practices in general,
    then a boot camp would probably be beneficial, even if you have read a
    very thick book.

    I would suggest taking a number of the online test exams (I found the
    test section of cccure.org very useful) and gauge your readiness from
    there.

    One last thing: Don't expect a boot camp to get you past the CISSP exam
    if you haven't studied much other material and don't already have a
    strong background.

    I had a lot of hands-on experience with implementing best practices and
    I read one of the prep-guides cover to cover, then re-read the summary
    of each chapter (took me 5 months). I was able to pass without a boot
    camp and honestly, I don't think I would have found them to be useful in
    light of my prior experience.

    HTH.

    --
    Brian Keefer, CISSP
    Senior Field Engineer, Professional Services