Sniffing

From: Shah H (Comp) (03004309_at_glam.ac.uk)
Date: 12/14/03

    Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:30:13 -0000
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Greetings to everyone on the group!!!!!!!

    I'm not an expert in the Security Arena like many of the guys on this
    group & wanted some information about Sniffer Programs solely for
    education purpose.

    1) On a Switched Network can Sniffers capture Network Traffic only for
    the switch it is connected to switch or for all the switches on the
    network?

    2) Can Sniffing be detected using a Network Intrusion Detection System
    and if yes then are there any Sniffing ways which are not detected by
    NDIS?

    Thank you all for your time. I sincerely await your replies...

    Cheers,

    Harshang Shah