RE: Ad-aware

From: Bob Beck (goodfela26_at_finneganfamily.net)
Date: 12/04/03

    To: "Jack Solomon" <solzjack43@hotmail.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:19:43 -0500

    As stated already, Ad-aware is only free for personal use. However, I
    wouldn't rely on just 1 program to detect these trojans. I use both ad-aware
    and spybot search and destroy (spybotsd) and I've noticed when running both
    of them that there are some files detected by ad-aware that aren't detected
    by spybotsd and vice-versa. They both work very well, but when used in
    tandem, they compliment each other nicely.

    For corporate use, ad-aware may be ok alone since the professional version
    will detect registry changes and such in real-time. When it comes to
    detecting spyware, trojans, etc., I don't think you can be too careful.

    Good Luck,

    Bob