RE: fire suppression

From: Hayes, Bill (Bill.Hayes_at_owh.com)
Date: 12/03/03

    Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:05:21 -0600
    To: "Zachary Mutrux" <zmutrux@compumentor.org>

    I've just been researching this, so here goes. Corrections always welcome.

    In the US, the National Fire Protection Association maintains the fire prevention standards. NFPA 75 - Standard for the Protection of Information Technology Equipment is the one you'll want to examine. WARNING: You have to pay to see them online (http://www.nfpa.org/codesonline/).

    Sun Microsystems mentions NFPA in Sun Microsystems Data Center Site Planning Guide Chapter 5: Safety and Security
    (http://docs.sun.com/source/805-5863-13/ch5.html).

    I've found this subject to be kind of fuzzy. Generally you'll want to use class "C" clean agents. Examples include Halotron, FM200, and good old CO2. For a discussion of CO2 and thermal shock, see http://www.nafed.org/library/C02comp.cfm. You should stay away from dry agents as they could really mess up the works when they get sucked into printers, etc. Class C dry agents are supposed to be nonconductive, but they could be abrasive.

    Bill...