Re: Is The RPC a Protocol or a winXP-Service?

From: mlist (mlist_at_budget.co.nz)
Date: 11/26/03

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:53:06 +1300

    > What is The RPC exactly ?
    > The RPC is a Protocol or a winXP-win2000-Service or a Port?
    > www.Rabertgraham.com says that it is a Protocol .
    > My windows says it is a Service .
    > Some other articles says that it is a Port .

    IMO, RPC itself is a protocol, but it's perfectly valid to refer
    to the RPC port, or service... I guess the problem is definitions.

    A protocol is similar to a language - a defined way for two programs
    to talk to each other. So there is an RPC protocol that defines how
    you talk RPC to another (Windows) computer.

    A port is similar to a TV channel - a program can choose which 'channel'
    it wants to use to communicate. The RPC program on Windows always uses
    the same port(s?) to communicate, so those are the RPC ports.

    A service is simply a program that runs on Windows, designed to perform
    a task - like a daemon on Unix. The file sharing service, the DNS
    lookup service, the contact Microsoft with your personal details service
    (heh heh)... so the RPC service is the program running that listens to
    the RPC port and implements the RPC protocol :)

    > [""Various errors with 127.0.0.1 :
    > Some servers are misconfigured to map this address.
    > On the other hand, it is also a hacker technique
    > to cause names within the hacker domain to resolve
    > to addresses within a company (including localhost/127.0.0.1).""]
    >
    > And my question is :
    > How do they (Crackers) do that ?

    My guess would be mucking around with the hosts file...

    • Re: SBS 2003 and Outlook RPC over HTTP issues
      ... Look in IIS at your Exchweb, Exadmin, exchange-oma, and RPC sites' directory ... Why is it called RPC over HTTP if HTTP is not really needed to be ... As pointed out by others, port 80 does NOT need to be open, and yes, it ... I have about 20 of these SBS machines at other locations and have ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: SBS 2003 and Outlook RPC over HTTP issues
      ... , but some of my clients do not want users to ... definitely closed now cause when I open it up http: ... the article is incorrect in stating that port 80 is needed. ... that port 443 and port 80 must be open to use RPC over HTTP. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Intersite Replication problem
      ... I followed Antony's DNS advise and I seens to be working. ... To perform the replication I've schedule a task on the W3K server to dial ... As for RPC The default value for the RPC Replication Timeout registry ... Remote Procedure Call dynamic port allocation is used by remote ...
    • Re: SBS 2003 and Outlook RPC over HTTP issues
      ... definitely closed now cause when I open it up http: ... the article is incorrect in stating that port 80 is needed. ... that port 443 and port 80 must be open to use RPC over HTTP. ... I have about 20 of these SBS machines at other locations and have ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: SBS 2003 and Outlook RPC over HTTP issues
      ... Look in IIS at your Exchweb, Exadmin, exchange-oma, and RPC sites' directory ... manually...I just let the CEICW do it for me. ... Why is it called RPC over HTTP if HTTP is not really needed to be ... As pointed out by others, port 80 does NOT need to be open, and yes, it ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)