RE: Altiris Deployment Server vs. Microsoft SMS

From: Depp, Dennis M. (deppdm_at_ornl.gov)
Date: 11/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:56:17 -0500
    To: Steve <securityfocus@delahunty.com>, ZyberGeek@comcast.net, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    We have recently installed SMS 2.0. Before that we evaluated both
    Altiris and SMS. Both products were very similar in setup, design and
    architecture. There were two items that pushed us to choose SMS over
    Altiris. First we have an Enterprise Agreement with Microsoft which
    includes the CALS for SMS. This made the cost of implementing SMS very
    affordable. Second Altiris lack the ease of deploying hotfixes that
    came with the SUS Feature Pack for SMS. Both of these products require
    significant planning for a smooth installation.

    Denny