Re: Linux PPTP VPN server - can't map Windows shares/printers

From: Kevin Saenz (ksaenz_at_spinaweb.com.au)
Date: 11/23/03

    To: joshadmin@netnitco.net
    Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:14:04 +1100

    Ok silly question on both your firewalls are your allowing gre and
    tcp1151 (I can't exactly remember ports for MS pptp cause I try not
    to use anything broken) ;) ?

    are your routes configured correctly? ie: anything on the other side of
    the tunnel go through the vpn.

    You shouldn't worry too much about the firewall rules because once
    you allow things through the vpn it's encapsulated in another protocol.
    Last time I tried that type of thing I couldn't browse to map file
    shares I had to use net view and net use.

    Also you could be screwing up the packets by forwarding them to the vpn.
    if your routes are right they should be going through the VPN interface.
    which would be something like eth0:1
    if you run ipconfig under windows or ifconfig under linux.

    > I currently have a Linux PPTP VPN server + NAT firewall which has been
    > functioning great. However, I'm unable to map Windows shares from
    > Windows boxes behind the VPN/firewall server. I've tried a few
    > combinations of iptables FORWARD rules for ports 137 and 139, but I
    > haven't had any luck. Does anybody have any ideas? I'd like to be able
    > to map Windows shares and printers through the VPN.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Josh Snyder, Linux/UNIX Systems Administrator
    > NetNITCO Internet Services
    > joshadmin@netnitco.net

    Regards,
    Kevin Saenz

    Spinaweb
    I.T consultants

    Ph: 02 4620 5130
    Fax: 02 4625 9243
    Mobile: 0418455661
    Web: http://www.spinaweb.com.au

    • Re: VPN Network connecting thru internet
      ... Do you want to set up a PPTP VPN? ... The major issues are the router and any firewalls you have installed. ... You begin by finding out if the routers on both ends support PPTP ...
    • Re: Router-to-router VPN
      ... Have made sucessful router to router vpn connection - great! ... For use to traveling laptops that vpn to the server. ... "firewall" is acting as the VPN Server and that the VPN Server is not behind ... terminating at the firewalls which is not the same thing. ...
    • Re: AD Consolidation Question
      ... Each forest represents a seperate location across the US and there are ... by firewalls and replication over firewalls, ... If you use a VPN and don't filter on those VPN interfaces the info on ...
    • Re: AD Consolidation Question
      ... BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx ... Each forest represents a seperate location across the US and there are ... by firewalls and replication over firewalls, ... If you use a VPN and don't filter on those VPN interfaces the info on ...
    • Re: site to site VPN - need suggestions on VPN routers and folder synchronization
      ... the Watchguard firewalls are very good. ... assigned to each firewall in order to build the IPSEC VPN. ... You can build similar infrastructure with Cisco routers and firewalls. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)