Re: Protecting Home Machines

tomasfrota_at_terra.com.br
Date: 11/21/03

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:30:21 -0200

    I have a sugestion :

    To prevent know malicious programs to infect you system, try create a folder
    with same name of the worm. If you have a worm named msblast.exe in system32
    folder, delete the file (you if have it), and create a msblast.exe folder in
    system32 folder.

    Then, if a malware try to install youself in system32 folder, the Windows
    don´t recognize the file...

    Tomás.

    • Re: volume control
      ... Thank you very much for all the sugestions, i tried going to the system32 ... folder and dragging sndvol32 to the desktop. ... to expand the sndvol32 file from the xp cd) and know a better solution. ... I just did the command with no CD of any kind in either of my drives. ...
    • Re: System32 folder is missing!
      ... I am having a really big problem with my windows. ... me that System32 is required and that I need to talk to Microsoft ... I think I accidentally deleted the System32 folder thinking ... The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:. ...
    • Re: Programs Automatically Start!
      ... Patti addressed the "My Documents" folder opening at startup but I don't see ... how the fix she recommended applies to the "System32" folder opening at ... "JCW" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • RE: Deletion of added files upon boot.
      ... installing SP2 from cd. ... While I don't get an system32 error message anymore at restart, ... > types of programs is missing from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: Cannot get to event logs
      ... Are you able to run MMC.EXE or EVENTVWR.MSC directly from the system32 ... Is the system32 folder in your path statement? ... "Joe" wrote: ... Safe mode loads windows with the minimum it needs to run. ...