AW: Linux for newbies

From: Meidinger Chris (chris.meidinger_at_badenit.de)
Date: 11/15/03

    To: Matt Atkins <matthewsatkins@msn.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:59:28 +0100

    Hi Matt,

    you will hear many different recommendations. My personal experience is as
    follows: i started with RedHat which is a pretty good system to get
    installed and start getting used to linux. Particularly for a desktop you
    will get started faster with RedHat, and are less likely to get frustrated.
    I would recommend against SuSE - everything is different on a SuSE machine,
    if you learn SuSE it won't help you that much with other distros.

    I would, however, recommend moving on to another distribution as soon as you
    can. I personally like gentoo linux from www.gentoo.org a lot. I did much of
    my linux learning on gentoo, and it's a great platform because you set up a
    lot of things yourself and learn how they work in the process. Some people
    will probably say debian, but debian stable is too outdated for my taste. I
    find debian better suited to production machines than a personal box to
    learn linux on. If you try gentoo you will learn a lot about linux by the
    time you have your box all set up. The distro is also quite standard, the
    only place that gentoo differs greatly is in the placement of the startup
    scripts. I consider the way gentoo does the rc scripts more intuitive than
    the standard SysV, and easier to use for a beginner.

    If you need help getting linux installed, don't hesitate to mail direct,

    Greetings from Germany,

    Chris