Linux for newbies

From: Matt Atkins (matthewsatkins_at_msn.com)
Date: 11/13/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:22:12 -0700

    First of all, I want to tell all of you what a great mailing list this is.
    I am just starting to scratch the surface of network security, and this list
    is the major source of my information, ideas, and motivation to learn.

    In my first of many posts, I would like to ask the group what flavor of
    Linux is recommended for a newbie. I have no experience with Linux, and
    want to teach myself the ins and outs. I will probably be purchasing a book
    or 2 to help get things off the ground, so a good book recommendation would
    also be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance and I look forward to your suggestions.

    Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... >> considering that intelligence can't even tell a Chinese embassy from ... > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... decide to come up with for a solution to a possible attack you must come ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: MS Admin frendily *nix distrobution / Re: to the RE:s Windows IDS
      ... My first suggestion here would be: see if there's a Linux User's Group ... |>> Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... |>> The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: email gateway (transparent)
      ... Subject: email gateway (transparent) ... > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)