Re: email gateway (transparent)

From: Steve (securityfocus_at_delahunty.com)
Date: 11/12/03

    To: "ibnmaja al-andlusi" <fedorian68@yahoo.co.uk>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:19:27 -0500

    We run spam assassin with great results, open source, running on FreeBSD but
    I believe it runs on Linux as well.

    Another area to research would be the use of an appliance like the one
    offered by Symantec that not only performs blocking but also checks HTTP for
    viruses, like your folks checking their hotmail via HTTP.

    We use Sybari on our Exchange box and I cannot say enough good things about
    it. They do anti-spam now also. It uses 5 anti virus scanning engines and
    has little impact on the system performance. We have not had one virus/worm
    get into our network since we implemented it.

    There is no such thing as zero configuration. And in my experience if you
    use open source your configuration and experitse required is higher than for
    commercial products. The less you get involved in the configuration the
    less you get for security.