RE: email gateway (transparent)

From: Shawn Jackson (sjackson_at_horizonusa.com)
Date: 11/12/03

    Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:28:10 -0800
    To: "ibnmaja al-andlusi" <fedorian68@yahoo.co.uk>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

            We currently are working with two solutions:

            OpenBSD 3.4/SpamAssassin/SophosAV/Postfix and Amavis-new
            Red Hat Linux 9.0/SpamAssassin/SophosAV/Postfix and Amavis-new

            The reason there the second MTA is RHL instead of OpenBSD is due
    to the RAID card in the ML330 is no supported in OpenBSD. A great
    document for this solution is located at:

            http://lawmonkey.org/anti-spam.html

    The OpenBSD box will run on practically anything and have great
    pass-through performance. The RHL box is more of a Ram/HDD hog, so take
    that into account. With the default SA config, we had no false positives
    and around 98% successful spam capture. I'm more of a Windows man by
    profession but I don't trust Windows boxes on the Internet and won't
    place any there if I can avoid it. As for a Zero-configuration, that's a
    Windows-World lexicon, some *NIX systems (i.e. a Red Hat installation)
    have neared Zero-Config, but that's few and far between.

            Coupled with other tools like MRTG and Nagios, monitoring and
    management of those MTA's is far easier then getting Exchange to route
    email correctly.

    Shawn Jackson
    Systems Administrator
    Horizon USA