Re: Firewall, ping and nmap

From: getting_out (getting_out_at_tele2.it)
Date: 11/04/03

    Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:13:06 +0100
    To: security-basics <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    sebastian wrote:
    [...]
    > iptables -A OUTPUT -o $ext -p icmp -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j
    > ACCEPT
    [...]
    I'm not proof in firewalling, but with this line, I'm adding a rule to
    table OUTPUT in witch I've no restricion. I don't think this could help
    me; but I could be in wrong too ;).

    My trouble is why on an interface I can receive a ping (ppp0) and not on
    an another (eth0) if I've not added an interface specification to the rules?

    D.

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... >> considering that intelligence can't even tell a Chinese embassy from ... > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... decide to come up with for a solution to a possible attack you must come ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: MS Admin frendily *nix distrobution / Re: to the RE:s Windows IDS
      ... My first suggestion here would be: see if there's a Linux User's Group ... |>> Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... |>> The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: email gateway (transparent)
      ... Subject: email gateway (transparent) ... > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)