Re: Blocking GoToMyPC

From: Leif Ericksen (leife_at_dls.net)
Date: 10/30/03

    Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:42:32 -0600
    To: bslice@backroads.net

    I would just block the entire domain if what you want to do is not allow
    employees to use that site. That way it avoids the issue of them
    knowing the IP to the site and using that as a method to bypass the DNS
    resolve that you came up with.

    If you are a small company educate the users on why you do not want them
    to use that site as well as why they should not use it in your case.

    --Leif Ericksen

    Brandon Slice wrote:

    >What is the easiest way to block GoToMyPC? I do not want employees either working on their home machines from work, or opening up the network by bypassing the firewall.
    >I think from reading GoToMyPC's website the remote machine must login into one of the servers, then the client connect to the GoToMyPC server and the server relays commands to the remote machine. Also I think I read that GoToMyPC uses HTTP and other protocols that normally the firewall allows through.
    >
    >One idea that we had was to put a phony DNS entry into our DNS server for the GoToMyPC domain, to send that traffic to a non-existent IP on our network. Would this work? What would be the major problems with it?
    >
    >What about disallowing access to any ip that on a reverse DNS lookup falls into the GoToMyPC domain?
    >
    >Thanks for your time,
    >Brandon

    >Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    >The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    >simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    >by up to 80%.
    >FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... > decide to come up with for a solution to a possible attack you must come ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ... > simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • MS Admin frendily *nix distrobution / Re: to the RE:s Windows IDS
      ... As far as *nix goes, i have been planing on getting a distro. ... >>The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security ... >>to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... The core DNS for the entire Internet physically ... >The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... Perhaps the same way that we have demonstrated excellence in the MidEast ... > simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security ... > simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs ...
      (Security-Basics)