Re: Personal Firewall for Business use

From: Patrick Dickey (pd1ckey43_at_msn.com)
Date: 10/28/03

    Date: 28 Oct 2003 20:44:32 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) In-Reply-To: <2DBB25F6DB41D311AFCB00A024574CBD01F6213F@MANGO>

    Ok, a couple of questions keep nagging at me here..lol The first, are you using the server for a corporate network, or do you have a home network with a server as it's core? I realize that may sound funny, but I just purchased a used Compaq Server for $200.00 to use on my home network. (Also, so I can get a little experience with it, for future career opportuniites). In my situation, would the "Free Personal Firewall" not apply?

    I do, however, agree with those that are saying, if you are using it for a corporate account, you can't use the Free Personal Firewall. I would think, if you can afford the cost of a server for a corporate account, you can afford $50.00 or less for a good Professional firewall.

    ZoneAlarm is good, to an extent.. I have ran into a problem with them, and they only use e-mail support for the firewall (that's a -- in my eyes).. Sygate, offers phone and e-mail for their Professional firewall, but only 'forums' for the free version.

    Patrick.
    PS. the obvious one to stay away from is BlackICE (aka swiss cheese).

    >I recommend that you try Sygate Personal Firewall
    >It's really good
    >
    >http://www.sygate.com

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • RE: Personal Firewall for Business use
      ... on Windows 2000 server with a full-time modem connection to an ISP. ... I don't use any of the personal firewall features such as application ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... >> considering that intelligence can't even tell a Chinese embassy from ... > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: military strike possible?
      ... decide to come up with for a solution to a possible attack you must come ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: MS Admin frendily *nix distrobution / Re: to the RE:s Windows IDS
      ... My first suggestion here would be: see if there's a Linux User's Group ... |>> Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... |>> The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: military strike possible?
      ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - ...
      (Security-Basics)