Re: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology

From: Meritt James (meritt_james_at_bah.com)
Date: 10/28/03

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:26:58 -0500
    To: Jack Solomon <solzjack43@hotmail.com>

    In my opinion, the problem is less that individual countries have
    adequate laws (though such is often the case) but that there is a
    paucity of agreement concerning offenses which cross national
    boundaries. Extradition agreements seldom extend to cyber offenses, for
    instance, even when something is illegal both where the offense was
    committed and the location where the offender resides.

    Jim

    Jack Solomon wrote:

    > On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 19:02, Hagen, Eric wrote:
    > >The fact is that in the US, an individual would likely be arrested for even
    > >threatening to release this information. The problem with the countries
    > >overseas is that US laws, especially the privacy laws, are virtually
    > >unenforcable. While the activity of releasing that information it illegal
    > >in the US, it is not usually illegal in another country, therefore, even if
    > >the individual released that information while residing in his native
    > >country, his actions would be entirely lawfull, and even under extradition
    > >treaties, the US would have little or no recourse in sequestering that
    > >information, which is a huge problem.
    > >
    > >Just my 2c.
    > >
    > >Eric
    >
    > My 2 pennies...
    >
    > I find it interesting that you consider unenforceability of US laws across
    > the rest of the world a problem. Whether North America grasps it or not, it
    > is part of a larger community. Over here in the UK we have a very good
    > legal system. We've got legislation too, including the Data Protection Act
    > and the Computer Misuse Act. It is illegal to disclose private information
    > in the UK and this is regularly enforced, both through civil actions and
    > criminal prosecutions.
    >
    > Believe it or not, the world outside of the US is not comprised of backward
    > third-world countries. Of course, it is not a good idea to outsource your
    > banking operation to fraud-centres like India, but don't loose sight of the
    > fact that when the US does business with the rest of the world, its citizens
    > and their businesses are protected by something invented in Europe about a
    > thousand years ago, International Law.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jack

    > It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today!
    > http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

    > Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    > simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    > by up to 80%.
    > FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA