Re: 'masking' or 'hiding' am ip address from a web browser

From: Jimi Thompson (jimit_at_myrealbox.com)
Date: 10/28/03

    Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:53:16 -0600
    To: Bryan Sultanik <Bryan.Sultanik@tdh.state.tx.us>, "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    At the risk of stating the obvious, how are people going to find your
    web app if you don't use DNS????? The whole point behind having
    www.google.com or what ever is that you use DNS to translate that to
    an IP address. Security through obscurity???

    Jimi

    At 7:49 AM -0500 10/24/03, Bryan Sultanik wrote:
    >How can I mask or hide my ip address behind a 'friendly name' when users
    >access my web app via web browser. Currently, when they hit the app, their
    >browser shows 192.xx.xxx.xx instead of 'myserver'. I am running Web logic 7
    >on a Win2k server, have specifically chosen not to register the server in
    >our enterprise DNS for security reasons.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >--Bryan

    >Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
    >network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes?
    >Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new network
    >analysis tool that
    >makes the complex - easy
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027