RE: Folder level Security

From: Mike (mike_at_superiorholidayadventures.ca)
Date: 10/28/03

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:51:44 -0500
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    I agree, you really can't do this as the data essentially has to be
    "copied" to the machine in the first place before it can be used. What
    you could do is lock down the individual computers so that there are no
    Write rights set except for where it needs to be (i.e. local
    settings\temp, winnt\temp, and other areas). In doing this your users
    can still copy the file to the open areas of their local pc, but this
    depends on how savvy your users are. You'd also have a fun time finding
    the right mix of permissions while still being able to lock down the
    machine to a certain degree.

    Another option would be to hide all the files on the C: drive and use a
    group policy to not allow the users to undo that setting. That way the
    users see an empty C: drive. Using a GP you can also limit the use of a
    floppy drive.

    Again, there are many ways around this if you're even slightly computer
    literate (i.e. view file, copy contents and paste it into an e-mail or a
    new document).

    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

    Mike Fetherston

    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    > --
    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • RE: Copying HDDs for forensic purposes?
      ... I am interested in forensic examinations of hard drives. ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Folder level Security
      ... While it's fairly easy to make a folder read-only, ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Suggested "safe" password length
      ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to ...