RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology

From: Jack Solomon (solzjack43_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/28/03

    To: ompaul@eircom.net
    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:01:01 +0000

    On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 19:02, Hagen, Eric wrote:
    >The fact is that in the US, an individual would likely be arrested for even
    >threatening to release this information. The problem with the countries
    >overseas is that US laws, especially the privacy laws, are virtually
    >unenforcable. While the activity of releasing that information it illegal
    >in the US, it is not usually illegal in another country, therefore, even if
    >the individual released that information while residing in his native
    >country, his actions would be entirely lawfull, and even under extradition
    >treaties, the US would have little or no recourse in sequestering that
    >information, which is a huge problem.
    >
    >Just my 2c.
    >
    >Eric

    My 2 pennies...

    I find it interesting that you consider unenforceability of US laws across
    the rest of the world a problem. Whether North America grasps it or not, it
    is part of a larger community. Over here in the UK we have a very good
    legal system. We've got legislation too, including the Data Protection Act
    and the Computer Misuse Act. It is illegal to disclose private information
    in the UK and this is regularly enforced, both through civil actions and
    criminal prosecutions.

    Believe it or not, the world outside of the US is not comprised of backward
    third-world countries. Of course, it is not a good idea to outsource your
    banking operation to fraud-centres like India, but don't loose sight of the
    fact that when the US does business with the rest of the world, its citizens
    and their businesses are protected by something invented in Europe about a
    thousand years ago, International Law.

    Regards

    Jack

    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • Re: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology
      ... the problem is less that individual countries have ... paucity of agreement concerning offenses which cross national ... >>overseas is that US laws, especially the privacy laws, are virtually ... > The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with technology
      ... Please note that the laws are significantly different concerning the use ... >> country, his actions would be entirely lawfull, and even under extradition ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology
      ... yes most first-world countries do not treat extortion lightly. ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Thoughts on Illegal Immigration
      ... Try entering other countries legally. ... US laws, regardless of how, by whom or why they were enacted - ARE ... However you have gained entry into the United States of America, ... Medicare, ...
      (misc.immigration.usa)
    • Re: Addiction
      ... Read the paragraph, Opposition to hate crime laws, near the bottom ... countries do consider certain forms of expression illegal. ... I don't agree with most of that either, except perhaps for the ban ... These bans make the holocaust appear as a myth, ...
      (talk.origins)