Re: 'masking' or 'hiding' am ip address from a web browser

From: Fernando D. (ferosspublic_at_comcast.net)
Date: 10/27/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:42:01 -0500

    Bryan Sultanik wrote:
    > How can I mask or hide my ip address behind a 'friendly name' when users
    > access my web app via web browser. Currently, when they hit the app, their
    > browser shows 192.xx.xxx.xx instead of 'myserver'. I am running Web logic 7
    > on a Win2k server, have specifically chosen not to register the server in
    > our enterprise DNS for security reasons.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --Bryan

    > Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
    > network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new network analysis tool that
    > makes the complex - easy
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021

    I read some of the recent posts and didn't see anything about HOSTS
    files. This is another way to do it without a DNS server. It's
    administrative intensive if you switch IP's often, if not then it's a
    one time deal.

    Have fun,

    Fernando

    Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
    The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
    simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
    by up to 80%.
    FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

    • RE: Personal Firewall for Business use
      ... on Windows 2000 server with a full-time modem connection to an ISP. ... I don't use any of the personal firewall features such as application ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: SQL injection testing tools ?
      ... > i am looking for a tool that check SQL injection errors on web app. ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ... The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Personal Firewall for Business use
      ... > I need to install personal firewall on a win2000 server, ... What makes you think you need a personal firewall ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: masking or hiding am ip address from a web browser
      ... >access my web app via web browser. ... >our enterprise DNS for security reasons. ... PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Personal Firewall for Business use
      ... >> I need to install personal firewall on a win2000 server, ... Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE ...
      (Security-Basics)