RE: 'masking' or 'hiding' am ip address from a web browser

From: Hagen, Eric (ehagen_at_DenverNewspaperAgency.com)
Date: 10/24/03

    To: Bryan Sultanik <Bryan.Sultanik@tdh.state.tx.us>, "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:55:33 -0600

    The browser shows whatever site it thinks it's viewing. So... if your
    server is only accessable by and IP, then that's what the browser will show.
    There is a "stupid browser trick" where you can put a framset HTML page out
    on a DNS-supported server somewhere and then make a single full screen frame
    that contains your app. in this way, only the URL of the frameset HTML is
    displayed, even though you are viewing a page on your local page.

    This can be misleading to the user because it conceals all of the
    command-line arguments and other things... no matter what you do in your
    app, the URL bar will always show "http://www.mysite.com/myapp/" which is
    where the frameset is hosted, even if the contents of the screen change or
    link off-site (of course, unless your app uses "target=_TOP" in it's
    external links).

    Eric