Re: POP3 passwords

From: Phillip McCollum (pmccollum_at_sanmanuel.com)
Date: 10/22/03

    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:35:43 -0700
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    <<I forgot to hit the Reply All on this one.. Sorry about that!>>

    Well with DOCSIS, the chances of being sniffed are pretty much
    moot. Here's a good paper:

    http://www.sans.org/rr/papers/26/623.pdf

    HTH,
    Phillip

    At 09:22 AM 10/20/2003, you wrote:

    >Broadband like a cable modem, on the other hand, is indeed wide open. Why
    >it's not such a big problem, I don't know. Perhaps the miscreants are
    >having more fun examining unprotected local shares on windows boxes, and
    >just stealing the Outlook PST files directly.
    >

    >"Zachary Mutrux" <zmutrux@compumentor.org>
    >10/17/2003 06:40 PM

    >"Security-Basics" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    >cc
    >
    >Subject
    >POP3 passwords
    >

    >Why has it not been a bigger problem that POP3 passwords are unencrypted
    >when sent over the public Internet? Seems like they would be pretty easy
    >for
    >a miscreant to steal.
    >
    >zm
    >
    >--
    >Zac Mutrux
    >Technology Consultant
    >CompuMentor
    >415-633-9437

    >FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security
    >
    >Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
    >Learn how Solsoft can help you:
    >- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
    >- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
    >networks
    >- Quickly respond to network events from a central console
    >
    >Download our FREE whitepaper at:
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015

    >FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security
    >
    >Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
    >Learn how Solsoft can help you:
    >- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
    >- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
    >networks
    >- Quickly respond to network events from a central console
    >
    >Download our FREE whitepaper at:
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015

    Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
    network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new network analysis tool that
    makes the complex - easy
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021

    • RE: Host Based IDS Recommendations?
      ... Subject: Host Based IDS Recommendations? ... FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Securing a Cisco Unity Server
      ... Download it now FREE! ... > FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • FYI - different ISAPI .ida exploit
      ... Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland, ... FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security ... Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Thinking out loud....
      ... create their own private P2P network which only consists of whoever is ... which is a server program operated by the entity wishing to ... download the DLLs it needs as it needs them. ... we have a few too many file-sharing applications with no real open standards ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
    • Re: Browser freeze
      ... IMHO) will graphically show you what network traffic is present on your system. ... Process Explorer will show you what processes, foreground and background, ... They're all free - and most pretty small, so they download quickly enough. ... Now check for, and remove, spyware. ...