Re: dhcp / mac address

From: Erik Mintz (erik_at_courttavern.net)
Date: 10/16/03

    Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:40:10 -0400
    To: Joey Peloquin <jpelo1@jcpenney.com>

    Everything is there on you server. 10 minutes of work per segment I
    would estimate. Just listen to the traffic on the segment with all hosts
    online during a broadcast ping and feed it into a file. From that you
    can sort the data and feed it into your allowable hosts list.

    Erik Mintz

    Joey Peloquin wrote:

    >If the hosts are already deployed, why not write a script to
    >automagically collect the ethernet addresses for you? Actually, you can
    >probably find one on the Internet that will work with a little
    >site-specific tweaking.
    >
    >Joey Peloquin

    FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

    Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
    Learn how Solsoft can help you:
    - Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
    - Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
    networks
    - Quickly respond to network events from a central console

    Download our FREE whitepaper at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015

    • Re: Dual NICs, Routing Problem
      ... There can only be one default gateway (unless you are using extra stuff as ... network that is NOT directly attached to one of your interfaces. ... >> Do all the hosts on 192.1.36.0 know that if they want to talk to any host on ... Here, the web server needs to know the IP of eth0 on the DataBase Server, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Break an SBS 2003 out of an existing SBS domain with same domain n
      ... segment, in the same IP space, as long as they are distinct AD's. ... DHCP because of the synthetic limit SBS dev have put into SBS ... different IPscheme and must be physically separated via the network so ... a straight windows server. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: [opensuse] NFS & Host Configuration Problem
      ... Shouldn't DHCP take care of all that? ... If you're running a DNS server, it's possible to have the DHCP server ... hosts on your network, assign them static IPs outside the dynamic pool ... and set up the hosts files with a list of them. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: shorten time to attempt to connect to back end
      ... after I moved the BE onto the new server. ... >>> machines is on that switch. ... >> to start is with the switch for that network segment. ...
      (comp.databases.ms-access)
    • Re: I hate sodding Windows XP and I hate PCs
      ... x 8bit Corvus network cards and drop boxes. ... server was easy enough but installing Netware 3.11 wasn't ... unplugging the cables and taking that segment down) or damaging the ... any kit or technology I felt would be of benefit to the company. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)