RE: Student-Degree valuable or not?

From: DANIEL SIMPSON (DANSIMPS_at_uat.edu)
Date: 09/30/03

    Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:43:40 -0700
    To: "Brian G." <brian@fireflydigitalmedia.com>, "Daszczyszak, Roman L. SPC (1AD 501 MI BN ACE IMO)" <roman.daszczyszak@1ADTACM.1AD.ARMY.MIL>

    After graduation of high school I moved to Silicon Valley and worked for
    Napster (3 months), Hi Five (8 months), a local consulting firm and a
    large private school doing IT related stuff. I got laid off (at age 22)
    and really had to reinvent myself. I traveled around, visited friends
    and family and talked to as many older people as I could for suggestions
    (lasted about 6 months). After everything people told me, I knew what I
    had to do. They told me the one thing nobody can take from you is an
    education. I have passion in technology and law and everyday I want to
    do something new. I'm in my 4th week of school and wonder if I made the
    right decision. After all, I had to move away from California and leave
    all my friends and family behind. I already realize that I don't want to
    work for "The man" but I would like to work for one of my favorite
    companies for at least a couple years so I know I MUST get a degree to
    fulfill this dream. I'm getting a powerful degree from a school that is
    fairly unknown but has the best program I have ever seen (Yes they are
    regionally accredited) and some of the best access to latest technology
    any school can provide. I didn't do so hot in high school so my access
    to public schools was extremely limited, I was forced to spend the bucks
    and allow to private schools. Who can complain? I don't plan on sitting
    during my 4 year stint; I already have some certifications and plan on
    getting more. I'm doing an internship right now and applying for a
    summer intern at Microsoft.