Creating Signatures on Cisco IDS enabled IOS based Firewalls

From: Cherian M. Palayoor (cpalayoor_at_cwalkergroup.com)
Date: 09/25/03

    Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:25:17 -0700
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create signatures using the IDS on a
    Cisco IOS based firewall.

    If yes, can you direct me to the documenetation on the same.

    Regards

    CP

    • RE: IDS, IPS or just rubbish
      ... then it sounds a lot like an IDS to me. ... I wonder what ISS' new firewall will be called? ... They do not have many signatures. ... world's premier technical IT security event! ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum
      ... > not have enough signatures to give you the sort of security you need. ... Why would you want a signature based IDS at all? ... Then use a firewall that only passes what is explicitly ... allowed and raises an alarm for everything that isn't. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum
      ... >>> IDS on the same machine as a firewall? ... >>> not have enough signatures to give you the sort of security you need. ... > I think it should be re-iterated that the D in IDS is 'Detection'. ... understand) the reports. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Log checking?
      ... Maybe this is too obvious to mention, but what I watch for in my firewall ... I'm less worried about find things that will be IDS ... signatures next month than I am about finding things that will never be IDS ... higher-cost threats in my view, such as the bad insider, strategic ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Value of "richer" signatures?
      ... Snort, Dragon, and NFR, and I can tell you that they ... Here's an example of how the newer IDS signatures help ... Let's say you are using a simple packet grepping IDS ... > an FTP connection). ...
      (Focus-IDS)