Re: Can't Change Passwords at WinXP Pro machines in a W2k AD Domain

From: Flávio Pereira (fpereirabr_at_yahoo.com.br)
Date: 09/20/03

    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:38:36 -0300 (ART)
    To: Patricia Viana <patricia.sa.viana@terra.com.br>, security-basics@securityfocus.com

       Hello for all,
       Check if there is a Group Policy of minimal time to
    change passwords, because this policy determine how
    much time of life before to be changed.

     --- Patricia Viana <patricia.sa.viana@terra.com.br>
    escreveu: > Hi.

    > I'm the network administrator for a medium sized
    > company and we have a
    > Win2k AD Domain. Our client computers runs Win2000
    > Pro and WinXP Pro.
    >
    > I would like to know if anyone could help me out
    > with this:
    > . Users can't change their password on any of the
    > XP machines;
    > . Administrators can't change their password on any
    > of the XP
    > machines!
    > . I can only change passwords for WinXP local SAM
    > users !!
    > . The error message is something like this: "You
    > don't have
    > sufficient privilege to change your password at the
    > moment".
    > . The same users and administrators are able to
    > change their
    > password on any Win2000 Pro machines.
    >
    > Hope someone has lived trought this or can have a
    > clue on what is going
    > on here.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Patricia Viana.

    > Captus Networks
    > Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
    > - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port
    > Scans
    > - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
    > - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    > FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment
    > Toolkit
    > http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm

    =====

    Flávio Pereira

    ICQ 62382441

    flavio_it@hotmail.com (MSN)

    fpereirabr@yahoo.com.br

    Cel.: 9730-6277

    Desafio AntiZona: participe do jogo de perguntas e respostas que vai
    dar um Renault Clio, computadores, câmeras digitais, videogames e muito
    mais! www.cade.com.br/antizona

    • Re: Basic Administration
      ... > the few machines here in the Library. ... >>You don't say if you're using XP Pro or XP Home. ... the Group Policy Editor ... >>users to implement a large number of the Group Policy ...
    • Re: Scanning for unsecure shared folders
      ... be of help in securing your machines and it can be used on remote machines. ... then your network will be more secure. ... and bypass any Group Policy user configuration and reconfigure the computer. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • RE: Content Advisor
      ... set in Group Policy do not apply to client machines. ... I suggest we check the following registry key on both client and server. ... Enable Content Advisor on the client first then apply the group policy. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Exchange OWA 2003 Trusted Root Certificate
      ... DNS looks to be fine. ... And if these machines reboot, ... and I can see this in the Group Policy Results Wizard in GPMC. ... > a network connectivity, dns name resolution, or domain computer account ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: save w2k group policy setting
      ... Based on my W2k Pro OS, please advise, can I still create a Group Policy ... default settings and the amended settings. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)