RE: penetration tester advice

From: Balwant Rathore (balwant_at_mahindrabt.com)
Date: 09/17/03

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:09:54 +0200

    Hi Mehmet,

    It takes some time to learn Penetration testing; you can start with
    followings:
    Subscribe to yahoo PenTest group and securityfocus PenTest list
    To subscribe from yahoo PenTest group send a mail to
    pentest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and pen-test-subscribe@securityfocus.com
    for Sec Focus list.

    Group also meet locally in various cities and domain experts share their
    knowledge
    You can get the presentations of previous meetings from this
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PenTest/files/Presentation-Archives
    http://www.ausejo.net/seguridad/conferencia.htm

    Feel free to ask your doubts in these lists.
    Read these guides
    1. Breaking into computer networks from the Internet by roelof@sensepost.com
    2. The MH DeskReference Version 1.2 Written/Assembled by Rhino9 Team
    3. Auditing Your Firewall Setup by Lance Spitzner, 12 December, 2000
    4. The Diary Of A Black Hat Hacker Gerald R. Patterson III
    5. Hacks explained
    6. A Step by Step guide to SQL Injection by Balwant Rathore

    Further you can also read OSSTMM but I will not recommend this for you since
    you are a beginner.
    Wait for some time yahoo PenTest group is writing a complete reference guide
    for penetration tester.

    That's all for now, till later :-)

    Sincerely,
    Balwant Rathore, CISSP
    Moderator PenTest group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pentest

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm