Re: File Encryption - Laptop

From: Sean Earp (smearp_at_mac.com)
Date: 09/13/03

    Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:17:12 -0700
    To: Security-Basics@Securityfocus.com, Ethan Harris <harris_ethan@hotmail.com>

    Ethan-

    Running a google search on "Windows 98 File Encryption,"
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+98+file+encryption&ie=UTF-
    8&oe=UTF-8> there were about 300,000 results. There appear to be a
    number of shareware solutions, and clicking on the first sponsored link
    <http://www.securstar.com/>, I came across a program called DriveCrypt
    4.0 that looks like it would do everything you are looking for it to
    do. I have not personally used the product, but perhaps someone else
    can share their experiences with this or a similar product.

    -Sean

    On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Sean Earp wrote:

    > Ethan-
    >
    > Windows 2000 (and XP Pro) have this functionality built in (It's
    > called EFS - or Encrypting File System), and it is designed for
    > EXACTLY the reason you specify. It requires that the hard drive be
    > formatted as NTFS, and one of the previously mentioned Operating
    > Systems. Microsoft has written up a decent overview of the
    > functionality and setup at
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/
    > efssteps.asp>.
    >
    > Windows 98 is NOT a secure operating system by ANY stretch of the
    > imagination and you can not use EFS with it. Even password protecting
    > the machine offers you NO protection, as you can bypass the password
    > by simply hitting the escape key. You could upgrade these machines to
    > Windows 2000 or XP, or someone else on the list may know of a third
    > party utility that may provide the functionality you are looking for.
    > Good luck,
    >
    > -Sean
    >
    > On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Ethan Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>

    >> I'm fairly new to the secuirty world, but have been recently asked by
    >> my company to find a product that will be able encrypt files on a PC
    >> (mostly Win98 and Win2k based), especially on laptops. They want an
    >> extra layer of security in case any of these machines get stolen.
    >> Thanks in advance for the input.

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm