Re: File Encryption - Laptop

From: Sean Earp (smearp_at_mac.com)
Date: 09/13/03

    Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:17:12 -0700
    To: Security-Basics@Securityfocus.com, Ethan Harris <harris_ethan@hotmail.com>

    Ethan-

    Running a google search on "Windows 98 File Encryption,"
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+98+file+encryption&ie=UTF-
    8&oe=UTF-8> there were about 300,000 results. There appear to be a
    number of shareware solutions, and clicking on the first sponsored link
    <http://www.securstar.com/>, I came across a program called DriveCrypt
    4.0 that looks like it would do everything you are looking for it to
    do. I have not personally used the product, but perhaps someone else
    can share their experiences with this or a similar product.

    -Sean

    On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Sean Earp wrote:

    > Ethan-
    >
    > Windows 2000 (and XP Pro) have this functionality built in (It's
    > called EFS - or Encrypting File System), and it is designed for
    > EXACTLY the reason you specify. It requires that the hard drive be
    > formatted as NTFS, and one of the previously mentioned Operating
    > Systems. Microsoft has written up a decent overview of the
    > functionality and setup at
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/
    > efssteps.asp>.
    >
    > Windows 98 is NOT a secure operating system by ANY stretch of the
    > imagination and you can not use EFS with it. Even password protecting
    > the machine offers you NO protection, as you can bypass the password
    > by simply hitting the escape key. You could upgrade these machines to
    > Windows 2000 or XP, or someone else on the list may know of a third
    > party utility that may provide the functionality you are looking for.
    > Good luck,
    >
    > -Sean
    >
    > On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Ethan Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>

    >> I'm fairly new to the secuirty world, but have been recently asked by
    >> my company to find a product that will be able encrypt files on a PC
    >> (mostly Win98 and Win2k based), especially on laptops. They want an
    >> extra layer of security in case any of these machines get stolen.
    >> Thanks in advance for the input.

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm

    • Re: Active Directory Questions
      ... That is the Windows Time Service. ... the rest of the machines aren't hard coded to sync with anything and then they ... Windows encryption stuff but does plug into Outlook. ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • netcat on windows [WAS: copying a 12GB file]
      ... probably already on both machines if they're both Linux. ... excellent SSH/SCP client for Windows if you need cross ... You probably don't want to use SSH Compression as I've seen it actually ... The SSH encryption might ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: copying a 12GB file
      ... probably already on both machines if they're both Linux. ... excellent SSH/SCP client for Windows if you need cross ... You probably don't want to use SSH Compression as I've seen it actually ... The SSH encryption might ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Former Install Encryption Cracking
      ... Note that the attacks you describe do not apply to Windows XP< they do not ... apply to machines joined to a domain and they do not apply to machines that ... > of which can perform EFS recovery on the files. ... > they have a brute-force cracker that works against EFS encryption keys. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: SUS Help
      ... I've been running SUS Server in an Windows 2000 environment for 3 months. ... We have Windows 2000/XP/2003 machines. ... Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)