Question on Corrupted BlackIce Defender Installation

From: Paul Fishbein (pffishbein_at_comcast.net)
Date: 09/11/03

    Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:24:37 -0700
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    I hope this is not "off topic" but I purchased BlackIce Defender (Black Ice
    PC Defender) and had to uninstall it, with the aim of reinstalling it
    later. I come to find out that it is not completely uninstalled and won't
    let me reinstall the program.

    Yes, I have tried the "Black Ice Removal Tool" to no avail. I get the error
    on reinstalling "BlackIce Daemon is already installed on this machine ...
    installation cannot continue. Consult your system administrator." I am not
    on a network on this machine, I can see the BlackIce process running under
    "System Services" but disabling it doesn't help.

    Has anyone had an experience with this problem? Can you point me in the
    right direction?

    Thank you.

    Paul Fishbein
    Los Angeles, CA

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm

    • Re: Where is proplus.msi for Office XP?
      ... uninstalling the complete Microsoft Office stuff and reinstalling from the ... Nothing seems to aid in the installation of XP SP3. ... files then uninstall the '...with Front Page edition. ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Re: Video Capture Device Quit Working
      ... > Thanks for the comment Cari. ... Decided to first uninstall Ulead and FINALLY got past ... I may try reinstalling ULEAD to see if problem repeats or is ... The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
    • Re: Time To Reinstall XP-Pro?
      ... is to reinstall NIS and then uninstall NIS the ... toolbar with Standard buttons in the search window must be active. ... Then a failed Uninstall. ... > Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling XP-Pro? ...
    • Re: ESS Issue
      ... reinstalling BTS 2K4. ... > Uninstall BizTalk, uninstall SSO, reboot, reinstall BizTalk and make sure ... > When the installation gets to the SSO service, be sure it runs as your ... >> Microsoft BizTalk Support Professional ...
      (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
    • Re: Uninstalling Windows XP
      ... That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then ... >> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ... >>> The only way you can uninstall Windows XP and retain your currently ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)