Re: Possible new virus?

From: Chris Berry (compjma_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/11/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:51:04 -0700

    >From: "Lee Rich" <lee.rich@wlga.gov.uk>
    > > "I'm not sure how it made it on to the list"
    >
    >And please don't forget, this is 'security-basics'.. which means to me,
    >that it's not all security experts
    >here, it's people breaking into the field aswell. So you should expect
    >questions that may be simple to
    >yourself, but to others, it's part of a learning curve.

    Oh, I wasn't complaining because it was basic, I was complaining because
    it's not a security issue. To the best of my knowledge (which on this
    particular subject is fairly extensive since I'm originally from a hardware
    background), there is no possible way for software to interfere with the CPU
    cooler no matter how malicious it is, there just isn't any interface.
    (though I suppose if you had a motherboard with variable fan speed control
    and you somehow got an infected firmware update for your BIOS, then maybe,
    but thats a real long shot) However, as always I'm willing to fess up if
    I'm wrong, is there anyone here who knows differently? I'd be happy to help
    the original poster, I was just trying to point out that this isn't the
    correct forum for hardware questions.

    Chris Berry
    compjma@hotmail.com
    Systems Administrator
    JM Associates

    "Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

    Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm

    • Re: pop3 antivirus check
      ... How about telling them no since it is a security risk and note that in your ... As a solution if you do want to allow POP and HTTP based email for users I ... acces pop3 servers in Internet via pop3 protocol. ... Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: pop3 antivirus check
      ... TCSE: Trend Certified Security Expert ... Subject: pop3 antivirus check ... As a solution if you do want to allow POP and HTTP based email for users ... Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Certification Advice
      ... have the CISSP as a basis in order to even sign up for them. ... > CISSP certification is a good one to have in the security scene. ... > a) What are good certifications to get, which will help to get me closer ... > Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Windows Server 2003
      ... Security Editor, eWEEK.com ... The shutdown information service can be turned off so you ... I found myself shutting down my server quite ... >> Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: what is this?
      ... Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping ... - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications ... - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies ...
      (Incidents)