Re: Possible new virus?

From: Chris Berry (compjma_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/11/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:51:04 -0700

    >From: "Lee Rich" <lee.rich@wlga.gov.uk>
    > > "I'm not sure how it made it on to the list"
    >
    >And please don't forget, this is 'security-basics'.. which means to me,
    >that it's not all security experts
    >here, it's people breaking into the field aswell. So you should expect
    >questions that may be simple to
    >yourself, but to others, it's part of a learning curve.

    Oh, I wasn't complaining because it was basic, I was complaining because
    it's not a security issue. To the best of my knowledge (which on this
    particular subject is fairly extensive since I'm originally from a hardware
    background), there is no possible way for software to interfere with the CPU
    cooler no matter how malicious it is, there just isn't any interface.
    (though I suppose if you had a motherboard with variable fan speed control
    and you somehow got an infected firmware update for your BIOS, then maybe,
    but thats a real long shot) However, as always I'm willing to fess up if
    I'm wrong, is there anyone here who knows differently? I'd be happy to help
    the original poster, I was just trying to point out that this isn't the
    correct forum for hardware questions.

    Chris Berry
    compjma@hotmail.com
    Systems Administrator
    JM Associates

    "Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

    Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.

    Captus Networks
    Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
    FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
    http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm