RE: Re: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: Bob Walker (bobwalker8_at_comcast.net)
Date: 08/29/03

    To: "'Rockit'" <speech_freedom2002@yahoo.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:35:25 -0500

    Thanks for the input.

    Yes, my original post WAS sent from a personal address, because I am a
    private contractor who has been asked to assist in finding this
    individual. I have no idea what steps the company in question is
    pursuing, nor do I care.

    Perhaps I should have provided more details in my original posting, but
    to have provided too much detail would have, IMO, "given away the game",
    so to speak. Do I want this jerk to know I'm looking for him? Duh.

    Having said that, from your post Rockit, I have no idea why you're on a
    security list, since it's obvious you support anarchy rather than order.
    The internet is an extension of our society, and should be held to the
    same standards as the rest of society. If I want to splash graffiti on
    a wall downtown, I shouldn't be clamoring that it's a freedom of speech
    issue when I get locked up.

    Do I believe the person I'm trying to find has committed a libelous
    offense? IANAL, but yes, I do. Is the company in question prepared to
    charge this individual with libel? Don't know, don't care, that's above
    my paygrade. But when you make a charge, on a financial message board,
    that the product/service provided by the company is unsafe and the
    persons in charge of providing said product/service are knowledgeable of
    neglect on the part of workers under them, and provide absolutely no
    proof of said charge, I'd be inclined to say that's libelous. In this
    case, there is a government agency responsible for oversight of said
    product/service, and to my knowledge, he has not gone the route of
    informing the responsible government agency of the problems he described
    in his posting.

    To all who responded to my original posting in a thoughtful manner, I
    thank you very much. I was inclined to believe there was no way to
    identify the person without a court order, and your comments have
    confirmed that. Again, thanks.

    Regards,
    Bob