RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: Birl (
Date: 08/25/03

    Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

    As it was written on Aug 12, thus Chris Berry spake unto security-basics@se...:

    Chris: Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:57:50 -0700
    Chris: From: Chris Berry <>
    Chris: To:
    Chris: Subject: RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords
    Chris: >From: "dave kleiman" <>
    Chris: >Not quite;
    Chris: >
    Chris: >If you pass the 14 character margin, No LM hash will be stored of the
    Chris: >password. 14 characters is its limit, so if you enforce a policy of 15 or
    Chris: >greater you do not have to worry about it.
    Chris: That's true, but I wouldn't rely on that. It's pretty easy to disable the
    Chris: storing of the LM hash permanently.
    Chris: Chris Berry

    I disable LM hash by default. I have long SecEdit file that tightens the
    whole machine down (too tight sometimes)

    My question is this: when was over 14 characters possible in NT?

    I always ran into problems with passwords over 14 characters. Cannot
    remember what the problem was off-hand, I'll have to see if I can
    replicate it .... might have been NT4

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us:

    • Re: ATWT - Leaving? (re: SPOILERS FOR THE WEEK OF JUNE 30th)
      ... Is Chris leaving the show? ... squandering the children of the veteran characters, ... Cyrus caught him with Daisy, and much longer for Cassie to find out, ... confront Cyrus, get Daisy to hide him and steal from her family, sleep ...
    • Re: "We lead the world in computerized data collection!" (Sopranos spoilers)
      ... The Chris stuff actually bored me way more than Artie. ... interested in characters like Vito, Benny, and Chris' rehab buddy(can't ... The guy who hung himself in the first episode was absolutely ...
    • RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords
      ... Chris: Subject: RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords ... hash represents only 7 characters, meaning that if you have a 21 character ... it is really 3 consecutive 7 character passwords. ...
    • Re: ATWT/ Hasnt hit yet
      ... accidentally turn the TV on when ATWT is supposed to be on and it's ... I was just reading a list of characters someone on another board ... I'd also want Penny, Ellen, Andy and John. ... Oh - and Chris Hughes. ...
    • Re: Narrow To Wide To Narrow String Conversion With reinterpret_cast
      ... so it will keep reading memory until it ... | NUL-terminated array of single-byte characters to an 0x0000- ... | terminated array of two-byte characters. ... Chris Val ...