Re: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: Birl (sbirl_at_temple.edu)
Date: 08/09/03

    Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    As it was written on Aug 7, thus ian@kingcon.com spake unto security-basics...:

    Ian: Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:44:58 -0400
    Ian: From: <ian@kingcon.com>
    Ian: To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Ian: Subject: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address
    Ian:
    Ian: Hello,
    Ian:
    Ian: I am looking for a windows compatible utility or method, preferably
    Ian: command line, where I can verify whether a port on an ip address is
    Ian: reachable or not. I want to be able to do individual ports and not
    Ian: port scans. Say for instance I wish to verify that port 677 is
    Ian: closed to traffic on ip address Ex. 172.16.0.1, I'm looking for a
    Ian: utility that would do something like:
    Ian:
    Ian: Check 172.16.0.1 port 677
    Ian:
    Ian: and tell me whether that port was reachable.
    Ian:
    Ian: So if I have two networks and I use this command from one I can
    Ian: determine whether a port is reachable on another. To determine
    Ian: whether a security measure is failing or not.
    Ian:
    Ian: There may be a simple way to do this...
    Ian:
    Ian: Thanks
    Ian: Ian

    I dont understand why you wouldnt portscan.

    You could tell nmap (or in your OS, WinNmap) to just probe a single IP's
    UDP (or TCP) port.

    nmap is designed to be flexable. It's what I use when testing for a
    specific port.

    Thanks

     Scott Birl http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
     Senior Systems Administrator Computer Services Temple University
    ====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====+====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

    • RE: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address
      ... verifying an open or closed port on an ip address ... Ian: Subject: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: I have too much firewall activity
      ... it is good that you have a firewall. ... port scans may be done by ... your replies may not be received. ... "Ian" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: I have too much firewall activity
      ... it is good that you have a firewall. ... port scans may be done by ... your replies may not be received. ... "Ian" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: I have too much firewall activity
      ... it is good that you have a firewall. ... port scans may be done by ... your replies may not be received. ... "Ian" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address
      ... It's kind of like using telnet to connect to a port, ... > Ian: Hello, ... command line, where I can verify whether a port on an ip address is ... > You could tell nmap to just probe a single IP's ...
      (Security-Basics)