RE: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: Norberto Meijome (
Date: 08/08/03

    To: <>
    Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:02:57 +1000

    True, telnet is probably the easiest way to check...but since telnet is
    a TCP connection, it would only report TCP ports...if you want to test
    if you have something waiting on port UDP/677 you will need some of the
    other tools (send UDP packet, and then wait for a reply).

    Also, don't forget that depending on your firewall settings, you could
    get a 'not listening' from where you are testing, but the same port
    could be open to traffic originated from another IP. To be thorough, you
    should run the full test (with the port scanning tool of your choice)
    from your LAN, DMZ and outside your firewall. (of course you should know
    what your firewall is doing, but testing to confirm is always good).

    - --
    Norberto Meijome

    "The only people that never change are the stupid and the dead", Jorge
    Luis Borges.

    NOTICE: The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential
    and intended only for the individuals or entities named above. If you
    have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply
    email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
    using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

    Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (MingW32)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    • Re: Telnet with Win32Forth
      ... I would still guess handshaking, or echoing, or port number. ... for both telnet and your Forth app, i.e., 23 for telnet ... ISPs block ports below 1024 or firewall is active ... the other folks I have gotten advice from are suspecting some incompatibility between Win32Forth and the socket driver in Win8. ...
    • Re: port 110 very slow
      ... Now port 80 works fine so does port 25. ... TCP connection user with the IDENT protocol. ... so the firewall needs to accept the incoming TCP ...
    • Re: Viewers get error message. Need to conferm theory.
      ... Are you sure you've enabled not just port forwarding, ... Firewall) and port forwarding ... It should be the "Internet IP" reported by your router. ... Can he "telnet" to that address? ...
    • Re: Telnet port 25
      ... Subject: Telnet port 25 ... is the sole responsibility of the customer and depends on the customer's ... Configuring sendmail 8.11.0 for Anti-Relay ...
    • Re: Linux Forums unreachable.
      ... DSL router, do you? ... web site that does not match ... interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. ... ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 21 ...