RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: Optrics Engineering - Shaun Sturby, MCSE (Shaun_at_Optrics.com)
Date: 08/07/03

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:29:39 -0600

    Executive Summary: This manifesto is designed to give system administrators a
    better grasp on the importance of password security. It is also designed to help
    users understand the importance of choosing a strong password

    http://www.somorita.com/Networking/PasswordManifesto.asp

    Want to make it even stronger? The there are some characters that you can type
    but that don't exist on the keyboard. I call these ALT characters. You get
    these characters by holding down the ALT key and typing a code on the numeric
    keypad. For example, if I type ALT-156 I get ?. Pretty kewl, eh? And you can
    use that as a key combination as one of the characters in your password. Most
    password cracking programs never check those characters and if they did it would
    take them much longer to crack passwords. Some of the common ALT combinations
    are shown at the end of this document.